Maternity B.V.M. School began in 1948 on the rectory porch. The Sisters of Mercy, in particular, Sister Rita Marie and Sister Anne Francis, saw a need in the fast growing area called Bustleton. The school grew rapidly and soon there was a need for expansion. Within one year, the foundation was laid. On May 5, 1949, the Most Reverend J. Carroll McCormick dedicated the one-level school. Over the years, the school continued to grow and more classrooms were added.
The addition of the Parish Hall, Cafeteria (the one-time Church), Annex and North Building were welcome additions to the sprawling campus. The main building contains 17 classrooms that house Kindergarten to Fifth Grade, along with rooms for Remediation and Counseling services. The Annex is home to the Sixth Seventh and Eight Grade classrooms, our beautiful Science Lab and an After CARES Room. The large Parish Hall is the perfect place for Phys Ed classes, Plays, Concerts and meetings. The North Building is where you will find our Library, Music and Spanish Room and our iMac Computer Lab. We are quite proud of the many technological improvements made throughout the buildings.
The school currently has approximately 500 students and this has been a consistent number for the past eight years. We are proud of the fact that our school is ranked as one of the TOP TEN CATHOLIC SCHOOLS in the City of Philadelphia. Students and staff take pride in their school and are a shining example to all who enter. We endeavor to Be the Change, View the Goodness and Make a Difference!